February 14, 2006

Sign of the times

I watched the Ryanair documentary last night, not least because I take their flights to and from Zaragoza: therefore I want to know everything about them that I really didn't want to know. What I got was what I expected to get: basic safety and security checks neglected, basic training skimped and bypassed, in general everything done in the shoddiest of fashions by undertrained and underinterested staff because there was no time and no encouragement to do it any other way.

I've taken, occasionally, over the past few years, to watching television with the subtitles on, partly in case the phone rings and I need to turn the volume off, partly because I have convinced myself that now I'm in my forties, my hearing is falling apart like a secondhand plane from Aeroflot.

I needn't have bothered: I could barely make out what the subtitles were saying. Not because of my (no doubt) failing eyesight but because spellings were wrong, incorrect words provided, sentences produced that neither followed the rules of grammar nor made linguistic sense. In short, everything about them suggested that subtitles were produced in the shoddiest of fashions by undertrained and underinterested staff because there was no time and no encouragement to do it any other way.

2 Comments:

At February 15, 2006 2:35 pm, Blogger bat020 said...

I was doing volunteer work at the Anti Nazi League a few years ago when Ryanair announced a joint press conference in London with the Austrian fascist Jörg Haider to announce a deal for flights to Carinthia.

We called a demo at short notice, knocked out a press release, was about to send it out – when I had a sudden flash of inspiration for a headline: "RYANAIR or ARYANAIR?"

It was a hit – the demo was plugged in a Guardian editorial (!) and after some, errm, interesting conversations with a Ryanair spokesperson, they pulled out of the press conference.

 
At March 02, 2006 6:32 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I doubt it Venichka, no channel are using those to my knowledge, even if they exist. Much more likely that they were editing it until the very last minute for legal problems etc, thus giving the subtitlers no chance to work on it for any time. It could even have been done live if it was very bad.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home